Prepared by Debbie
Vidalia Onion Dip - "New Recipe"
(Vidalia onion dip is recipe I've made for years. Here is a recipe for this dip that includes water chestnuts and wine ... I found this recipe at diprecipes.org).
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 large Vidalia onions coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 225gm tin sliced water chestnuts drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add onion, and saute 10 minutes or until tender. Stir together shredded Swiss cheese and next five ingredients; stir in onion, blending well.
Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes, and let stand 10 minutes. Serve with corn chips or crackers.
Vidalia Onion Dip - "Original Recipe"
- 2 cups Vidalia onions coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Swiss cheese
- 1-2 cups mayonnaise
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together in an oven safe bowl and bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve with crackers or pita bread wedges.