- 2 tablespoons olive oil (can use up to 1/4 cup)
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups of medium or long-grain white rice
- 3 cups* chicken stock (or vegetable stock if vegetarian)
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 fresh tomato, seeded and diced
- Pinch of oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet brown rice in olive oil, medium/high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook onion rice mixture, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes, or until onions are softened.
- In a separate sauce pan bring stock to a simmer. Add tomato sauce, tomato, oregano, and salt. Add rice to broth. Bring to a simmer. Cover. Lower heat and cook 15-25 minutes, depending on the type of rice and the instructions on the rice package. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes.