Prepared by Patty
* 2 potatoes
* 3 tablespoons margarine
* 2 cups chopped white onion
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 4 cups chicken stock
* 2 cups water
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
* 1 1/2 cups instant mashed potato flakes
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 cup half-and-half
* 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
* 8 ounces bacon - cooked and crumbled
* 2 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake potatoes for 1 hour, or until done. Set aside to cool.
- Melt butter in a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions until tender and golden brown. Stir in flour, and cook 5 minutes to make a roux. Pour in chicken stock and water. Add cornstarch and mashed potato flakes. Season with salt, pepper, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the skin from the cooled potatoes, and discard. Dice the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes, and stir into soup, along with the half-and-half. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thick. Spoon into bowls, and garnish with shredded cheese, bacon and chopped green onion.