A family favorite. We have this every Christmas. Serve with German Potato Balls, red cabbage, applesauce, crescent rolls, salad and some nice wine. Perfect.
- 3 to 4 pound rump or bottom roast
- 1 ½ cups red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ cups water or 1 cup water + ½ cup red wine
- 12 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 medium onions quartered
- 2 carrots chunked
- 2 celery stalks chunked
- ginger snap cookies crushed very fine
- Place roast in a large ziploc bag or glass bowl. In a seperate bowl combine everything else EXCEPT carrots, celery, and gingersnap cookies. Pour over roast and marinate 2 to3 days turning twice a day.
- Place carrots and celery at bottom of crockpot, place meat on top, pour mixture over it. Cook on low about 8 to 9 hours.
- Remove roast and wrap in foil, set aside.
- Strain the liquid into a pot and discard the vegetables & spices. Heat liquid on medium low, slowly add gingersnaps stirring constantly. Do this in batches to give gravy a chance to thicken.
- Slice meat and serve with gravy. YUM