Friday, August 28, 2009
* 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 3/4 cup flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 2 eggs, slightly beaten
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/4 cup melted butter
* 2 tablespoons honey
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees F, Grease an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with shortening. Pop the pan in the oven to heat while you're mixing up the corn bread.
2. Mix the cornmeal, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
3. Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter in another bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and give them a good stir, just til everything is moistened. Pull the hot greased pan from the oven and pour in the batter.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or til a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Take the corn bread out of the oven and brush the top with honey.
5. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before cutting into squares.
Makes 9 servings