This is a great recipe to make during the summer when you can purchase the ingredients fresh from the farmer's market.
- 12 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 or 3 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 jalapeño peppers, diced
- 3 tbsp, onion, diced
- 3 tsp, fresh cilantro, chopped (use more if desired)
- juice of 1 lime
- For a bolder/smoky flavor, grill 6 of the 12 tomatoes prior to chopping. I grill them until the skin of the tomato just starts to turn a little black.
- In a small food processor or chopper, process the 2-3 chipotles and some of adobo sauce, tomato paste and garlic cloves until smooth.
- In a mediums size bowl mix the chipotle mixture and the remaining ingredients.
- Refrigerate at least a couple of hours to allow to flavors to mix. Serve with tortilla chips.